Warrandyte is a beautiful, semi-rural environment located about 25 km (16 miles) northeast of Melbourne, which is the Capital of the State of Victoria, Australia.
The Warrandyte area was first settled by Europeans in the early 1800's and the first gold discovery in Victoria was made at Warrandyte in the 1850s. Warrandyte is known for its potters; Potters Cottage began here over 40 years ago, Stonehouse Gallery more than 30. Artists (notably the Heidelberg School) have been attracted to the river, landscapes and tall eucalypt forests ever since the establishment of the village.
The township is located beside the Yarra River and still retains the quaint charm of a small village. Now it is popular for its beautiful scenery, enchanting riverscapes and walks, cafés, craft shops, restaurants and galleries, as well as B&Bs, antiques, wineries and more. Potters, painters, printmakers and sculptors abound privately in their studios hidden in the hills, inspired by this environment.
The township and its surrounds are rich in native flora and fauna and borders an environmental safety buffer called the Green Wedgewhich forms part of a system of 'lungs' for the city of Melbourne - areas of native bushland set aside between suburban developments. Many species of native birds populate the area which is also home to koalas, kangaroos and platypus.
Warrandyte is an aboriginal word from the Woiworung language of the Wurundjeri, who are the indigenous people of the Yarra Valley to the northeast of Melbourne.